Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Mezcal Restaurant, Worcester, Massachusetts

A small warm Mexican hot-spot in downtown Worcester. The house specialty is guacamole and tequila and I can vouch that the guacamole is second to none I've tried. They offer a Jericaya for which is described as a Mexican style crème brûlée.


Presentation:
Serve in a deep circular ramekin on a square plate. No garnish.

Crust:
Brown sugar crust which is very hard. Slight charring in the middle. The brown sugar definitely comes through in the taste of the crust.

Custard:
The custard is warm towards the top and graduates toward cool on the bottom. The density slightly lighter than average, and extremely smooth. I has a noticeably spiced taste which overpowers the vanilla.

Overall Impression:
I think this is the best crème brûlée I've had that I don't particular prefer the taste of. I regularly do not find spiced custard favorable in these desserts. However, the custards smooth texture and density of the custard is enjoyable. I think the crust is a bit too hard, but that is expected when using brown sugar.

Rating:
2/5

No comments:

crème brûlée|creme brûlée|crème brulée|crème brûlee|crème brulee|creme brulée|creme brulee|burnt cream